South Suburban Montessori School is a private, non-profit school founded in 1970. We take pride in offering the unique teaching philosophies of Dr. Maria Montessori to our Toddler, Primary, Elementary, and Middle School programs.
Dr. Maria Montessori was an Italian physician and educator and the first woman in Italy to receive a medical degree. Maria Montessori believed the purpose of education should be an aid to life. She believed education should go far beyond the mere acquisition of knowledge in various disciplines.
Dr. Montessori’s approach to education emphasizes the potential of each child, and attempts to develop this potential by means of a prepared environment and a unique teaching strategy using specially trained teachers and specifically designed learning materials that have an inherent appeal to every child.
Maria Montessori believed that children carry within themselves their own unique personality, pattern of development, strengths and abilities. When given an environment which allows for this natural development to occur, they will learn in personal and powerful ways. The Montessori Method assists children in developing self-awareness, a positive self-image, independence, self-confidence and a life-long love of learning.
A few of the core Montessori principles on how children learn include:
- Moving and learning are intertwined. Movement is critical to a child’s learning experience.
- Young children use all of their senses to learn…especially their hands. Hans are the instrument of the child’s intelligence.
- Children must be able to explore and interact with their environment.
- Extrinsic rewards interfere with true learning.
- Learning occurs best within a meaningful context.
- Learning occurs best when there is order in the environment.
- Children pass through sensitive periods when they are most motivated and capable of learning a particular skill.
- Children learn through imitation, repetition, and trial and error.
- Freedom to make choices is a necessity for true learning.
The Montessori approach to education embraces the dignity of each child as a person, the necessity of recognizing individual differences, the catalytic role of the teachers and the prepared environment designed to help children actualize their potential. Everything we do originates from the deepest respect for and love of every child.